How to Avoid the Flu Naturally - is it Flu and Cold Season or Unhealthy Living?
I am pretty good about following the advice of the experts. But sometimes, it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for me. We hear every year how important it is to get a flu shot. I followed those instructions and still got sick every year. So I have learned how to avoid the flu naturally. For a number of years, I had a very high-stress corporate management position in a company that experienced its busiest season at the end of the year through January. It was a time of hard work, long hours, little sleep, irregular eating and unending stress. Every year, I got sick – a flu bug, a cold, a sinus infection, a stomach virus, intestinal flu.
Other people around me were sick, too, so we always talked about it being ‘that time of year’ when flu season is unavoidable. But now that I am a business owner with flexible hours, less stress, surrounded by positive people that have helped me to live a healthier life, even giving me ideas for natural flu remedies, I can honestly say I don’t remember the last time I caught one of those nasty bugs.*
How to Prevent the Flu
You may think the answer is easy: Get Your Flu Shot! In some cases, especially if you or a close family member fall into an at risk group, you will want to talk to your doctor about whether or not getting a flu shot is the best strategy for you. Sometimes, flu shots are not enough. Viruses are smart and work to stay alive. The influenza viruses are constantly morphing and this year’s virus is different than last year’s. The experts do their best to predict what should be in the flu vaccinations, but it is not possible to 100% prevent flu. There are things you can do!
With a little planning, you could be prepared to let your body’s natural defense and immune system be the best flu medicine. Here are some tips and strategies to start now:
1. Wash your hands – often. Estimates are that most people touch their face somewhere between 5 and 20 times every hour. The germs on your hands are not a problem until you touch your nose, mouth or eye.
2. Get plenty of rest. It’s the holiday season, there’s more work to be done, you’ve got company coming, you are travelling, then you have to work longer hours to catch up. Make those reasons TO sleep not reasons to AVOID sleep. Your immune system will be stronger when you are rested. And new studies have shown that you really can’t catch up on the weekends.
3. Be healthy. Most of us know what this means, but may not practice being healthy ALL the time. At this time of year, why not make a decision to be healthy MOST of the time. Make a commitment to eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables every day, drink plenty of water, exercise most days and supplement your diet with antioxidants and immune supporting nutrients.
How to Avoid the Flu with Natural Herbal Remedies
With a healthy immune system, your body can make the antibodies that fight each new flu virus that enters your body before it can make you sick. One of the most effective flu remedies is to boost your immune system throughout the flu season. What I have found works is a combination of all natural remedies. In addition to the healthy lifestyle decisions taking a priority during this time, here are four things I add to my daily supplement routine:
1. Vitamin D3 – I make sure I am getting 1000 IU of Vitamin D3 each day. Research has shown that Vitamin D plays a role in producing antimicrobial peptides that are important for overall immune support.
2. Vitamin C – With Shaklee’s Vitalized Immunity, I get 1000 mg of Vitamin C – that’s the equivalent of 16 oranges! This super-antioxidant is an immunoactive vitamin that helps maintain and support healthy cells. It is a blend of Vitamin C, Echinacea and Zinc, naturally sweetened with monk fruit plus it is a pleasant tasting effervescent drink.
3. Nutriferon – Shaklee’s Nutriferon is the only dietary supplement that naturally increases the production of interferon in the body. It was created by the immunologist who discovered interferon and has been stringently tested over the years. Interferon is critical to healthy immune function.
4. Garlic – Garlic has long been used for its healing properties. Adding garlic and onions to your meals and soups is important this time of year. To be sure you are getting enough, you can take 2 tablets of Shaklee’s Garlic Complex with a full meal each day.
Why Not to Get the Flu Shot
The decision to get a flu shot each year is a personal one and it should be an informed one. For me, I am more confident in my daily use of Shaklee Life to get the protein, immune supporting antioxidants, phytonutrients, probiotics and essential fatty acids. And, to give my immune system a boost during the cold and flu season, I outsmart those viruses that come my way with these easy to follow strategies. I hope these tips help you in your search for how to avoid the flu naturally.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Testimonials on this website are based on individual experiences which may or may not vary.